The nasopharynx is the upper part of the pharynx (throat) behind the nose. Nasopharyngeal cancer most commonly starts in the squamous cells that line the nasopharynx.
The 3 parts of the pharynx are the nasopharynx, oropharynx and hypopharynx.
Key point about nasopharyngeal cancer:
1. Nasopharyngeal cancer is a type of Head and Neck cancer.
2. Risk factor may include the following:
- Being of Chinese or Asian ancestry.
- More common in men, 30-50 years old.
- Exposure to the Epstein-Barr virus, of which it has been associated with various cancers, including Nasopharyngeal and some Lymphomas.
- Eating salt cured foods, also chemicals released from the steam when cooking salt cured foods may enter nasal cavity, increasing the risk of nasopharyngeal cancer.